$8 million grant over three years will fund research focusing on
novel immunotherapies for pancreatic cancer
Stand Up To Cancer (SU2C), The Lustgarten Foundation, and the Fox Family Cancer Research Funding Trust, along with the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR), SU2C’s Scientific Partner, announce a Dream Team dedicated to pancreatic cancer research.
The SU2C-Lustgarten Foundation Pancreatic Cancer Convergence Dream Team Translational Research Grant will provide $8 million in funding over three years for this innovative project that will develop new therapies to exploit patients’ own immune cells to treat their cancers.
Elizabeth M. Jaffee, M.D., Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine will lead the Dream Team. Robert H. Vonderheide, M.D., D.Phil., University of Pennsylvania’s Perelman School of Medicine will co-lead the project, which is titled, “Transforming Pancreatic Cancer to a Treatable Disease.”
The “Transforming Pancreatic Cancer to a Treatable Disease” Dream Team consists of a multidisciplinary group of experts that includes laboratory and clinical researchers, young investigators and senior scientists who have not worked together in the past, and patient advocates. In addition to Jaffee and Vonderheide, team members are:
• Margaret A. Tempero, M.D., University of California, San Francisco;
• Lisa M. Coussens, Ph.D., Oregon Health & Science University;
• David C. Linehan, M.D., Washington University in St. Louis;
• Dafna Bar-Sagi, Ph.D., New York University Langone Medical Center;
• Irving L. Weissman, M.D., Stanford University;
• Douglas T. Fearon, M.D., University of Cambridge, United Kingdom; and
• Steven D. Leach, M.D., Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
Read The Full Press Release
Meet the SU2C-Lustgarten Foundation Pancreatic Cancer Convergence Dream Team
Lisa Niemi Swayze (L-R), Dr. David Tuveson, Dr. Robert Vonderheide, Dr. Elizabeth Jaffee and Dr. Sung Poblete attend the Stand Up to Cancer press event at the 2014 AACR Annual Meeting on April 7, 2014 in San Diego, California. (Photo by Robert Benson/Getty Images for Stand Up To Cancer)